Palisades, Zoysia japonica, is a vegetatively produced, medium textured, high density turf suitable for home lawns, golf fairways and roughs, sports fields, industrial parks, and highway medians. Palisades is a medium to coarse textured turf noted for its shade tolerance and low water use requirements.
- Palisades exhibits versatility of exceptional growth in both the sun and shade.
- This grass only requires 3-4 hours of sunlight to achieve its peak performance.
- Palisades is classified as having low irrigation needs, requiring one to two deep irrigations per month during dry periods.
- Higher irrigation frequency will provide excellent quality turf, but may also demand additional fertilization.
- Should be watered daily and kept wet during the first 7-10 days.
- Palisades will tolerate mowing as close as 7/8″ with good weed competition ideally as high as 2″ to 2-1/2″ for home lawns.
- Its close mowing would permit use on golf course fairways especially where water availability is of concern.
Palisades will require between 3 to 4 lbs of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet per year for a highly maintained turf, to a more modest 1 to 3 lbs of Nitrogen for a high quality, low maintenance turf. Read and follow all fertilizer instructions regarding use and application.
MERITS OF PALISADES
- Medium to Course Texture
- Uniform Density
- Growth from the Stolons and Rhizomes
- Excellent Establishment
- Rapid Recovery
- Few Seed Heads
- Low Thatching Tendency
- Optimum Growing Height 2-2 1/2 inches
- Vertical Growth / Less Trimming
- Low Water Use
- Excellent Drought Tolerance
- Shade Tolerant
- Heat Tolerant
- Cold Hardiness
- Salt Tolerant
- Moderate to High Resistant to most common Pest and Diseases
- Low Nitrogen Requirement
Tifway 419 is an improved hybrid Bermuda developed from Tifton, Georgia. Tifway forms a fine textured, dense hybrid Bermuda turf, which excels in high traffic areas or under athletic field conditions. It performs at its best in full sun with a mowing height of 3/4 – 1 1/2 inches. When fully established, it has excellent drought and heat tolerance and will recover quickly from abuse or neglect.
When properly maintained,
- Tifway 419 is both heat and drought tolerant
- Can withstand temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tifway 419 is the most wear tolerant of the hybrid Bermudas
- Recovers quickly from damage during the growing season.
- Tifway 419 prefers a full sun location with little or no shade.
- Tifway 419 exhibits a dark green color during the growing season.
- With proper maintenance practices, it produces little seed head.
- Tifway 419 should be watered daily and kept wet during the first 7-10 days.
- Deep soaking every 7 days is generally adequate during the growing season.
- Hot & dry environments may require more frequent deep watering.
- For best results Tifway 419 should be mowed at least weekly during the growing season.
- It should be mowed to a height of 3/4 – 1-1/2 inches.
- Tifway 419 requires a consistent monthly fertilization program.
- During the spring, summer, and fall months it should be fertilized with 3/4 to 1 lbs of Nitrogen applied to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.
Read and follow all fertilizer instructions regarding use and application.
WEED, INSECT, AND DISEASE CONTROL
Tifway 419 is virtually free of weeds, insects, and disease when it is delivered. However, in some installations, weed and insect problems may occur from close proximity to neighboring lawns having these problems. Various cultural practices may be used to reduce these problems; however, should chemical controls be required, they should be used in accordance with the written instructions provided by the manufacturer.